Friday, January 22, 2016

A New Direction

Changing course is never easy, especially as you grow older. The old saw is that "With age comes Wisdom." I would add "sometimes belatedly". I've followed Christ, albeit imperfectly, for 18 years officially, and about 20 over all. My return to Faith, as it were, began in a Memphis, Indiana truck stop. A guy from a local Baptist Church was handing out copies of the New Testament. I snarkily asked why only the New? Do you not think there is any application of the Old Testament? I was being a smart ass, true. He looked at me a moment, smiled, then wrote some Scripture passages in the front, and handed me HIS Bible. Needless to say, it made an impression. As an aside, why do we say "Needless to say", and then say it? Weird.

So, my return to Faith got a start right there. I started reading the Bible again. I started praying even more than I had when growing up Catholic.For the first few years after, I read often. Then, less so, as I was reading other authors and their takes. Some I disagreed with, others became staples, such as John MacArthur, R.C. Sproul and J. Vernon Mcgee. I also came across the likes of Hank Hanegraaf at the Christian Research Institute and Ray Comfort. The former says "Test all things in light of Scripture and hold on to that which is true." Test ALL. There are false teachers out there. Wolves in sheeps clothing. They snare the unwary. The unwary are the Biblically illiterate. If you study your Bible, and listen and compare what is said, you will not fall for the lies. Too many do because they don't study. Ray Comfort points out, in open air preaching, the WHY of needing a savior. He uses the 10 commandments, how we all violate them, and how that looks to a Holy and Righteous God. Too many churches today have been Osteenified. They don't want to make people uncomfortable. If the Gospel DOESN'T make you uncomfortable in your sin, you're doing it WRONG!!

Jesus PROMISED trials, not riches and ease! Today's 'churches' are a pale shadow of what once was. They are not biblical. I fell for the "ask Jesus into your heart" 'sinners prayer' stuff. It's not Biblical. Jesus called for repentance, that the wages of sin was DEATH. You were to turn away from sin and follow HIM. Paul preached to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved. Repent, and believe. We are saved by grace, through faith, which is a gift from God, and not by works, so that none may boast. Saved by grace, through Faith in Jesus.

So, what course change? I'm too hung and focused on politics. No more. It doesn't matter. I need to dive BACK into Scripture. I have much to read, and more to learn. No matter how many times you read, you learn something new. So, there it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Closure. No such thing.

I was discussing this with a very dear friend. We always hear that this or that person needs 'closure' for some tragedy that occurre...